focus/workspace weirdness

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Oct 3 08:13:59 CEST 2007

Hey Olivier,

I just updated all of Xfce to svn trunk (it's been a few months...),
and I'm getting some odd behavior.

First off, I found that, after I updated, Firefox started doing that
annoying thing where it was getting brought to the current workspace if
I open a URL from another app on another workspace.  It wasn't doing
that before.  Ok, I thought, there was a mailing list thread about this,
so I went and opened up WM tweaks and set the "do nothing" option for
"when a window raises itself".  Awesome, that fixed that problem.

Unfortunately, other things that used to work are now broken.  Like if
my Pidgin buddy list is on a different workspace, and I click the
systray icon for it, it used to pop up on the current workspace.  Now
it does nothing.  Same as if I have new messages and click the icon: it
used to bring the message window to the current workspace, but now it
doesn't anymore.  Also, if I have the buddy list on the current
workspace, and the message window on another workspace, and double
click a name in the buddy list, it used to bring the message window to
the current workspace, but now it doesn't do that anymore.

(Hmm, just realising it's just Pidgin that broke.  Let's update it...)

So, what changed?  Either I select "do nothing" and lose some useful
functionality, or select one of the other 2 options and have to deal
with windows annoyingly popping up where I don't want them.

	-brian