FXmedia and UTF8

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 12 20:06:51 CET 2007

Liviu Andronic wrote:

> On 11/11/07, Bo Lorentsen <bl at lue.dk> wrote:
>> I have been using Xfmedia for some time now, and its seems to work out
>> just nice, but it looks like UTF-8 support is missing.
>
> Xfmedia deals quite OK with UTF-8: it is based on GTK+ (1) and on
> taglib (2). You might have issues with mp3 files if the tags were
> written by a program depending on the buggy id3lib library (EasyTAG is
> a good example of such programs).

Also of note: the ID3 tag format doesn't provide the character encoding
used to store the tag, so tag readers have to guess.  I'm not sure
how/if taglib falls back to another charset if UTF-8 conversion fails.
I have some fallback code in xfmedia as well, but it can't read minds.
Basically, if you want your tags to work properly in xfmedia, store them
in UTF-8.  If *that* doesn't work properly, file a bug, and I'm sure
I'll get to it within a year or two :-P .

	-brian