xfwm4 patches (resize_top and button_actions)

Phil Vandry vandry at TZoNE.ORG
Mon May 28 09:06:48 CEST 2007

Hello Xfce developpers,

I would like to propose two improvements to xfwm4 and would apreciate
any feedback you have on either one of the proposals. Both are
documented on the wiki page http://wiki.xfce.org/xfwm4_changes

- Ability to resize windows by dragging the top of the frame

With xfwm4, you can resize windows by dragging either side of the frame
(left or right), the bottom, or any corner, but you cannot resize
by dragging the top. Dragging the whole titlebar always moves the
window only. I wanted to be able to resize by dragging the top. In
themes where the title bar stretches across the width of the window,
dragging the title bar should move the window (existing behaviour)
if you aim in the “body” of the title bar but resize it if you
aim along a narrow strip at the top. This makes it consistent with
how you can resize the window by dragging the narrow strips on all
the other sides and corners. In themes where the title bar does not
stretch across the width of the window, the same behaviour should
result in the fraction of the top where the title bar appears, and
the rest of the top side should work just like the other sides.

A patch to implement this is available at:

http://www.tzone.org/~vandry/Xfce/xfwm4-4.4.1-top_resize.patch

Unfortunately, taking advantage of the new feature requires making
additions to themes. What would be a better way to do this without
requiring changes to every theme? Or if the method I chose is OK,
then could this patch be integrated in xfwm4?

I should mention by the way that the patch also fixes a minor
bug in calls to xfwmWindowDelete that I happened to notice.

- Button actions patch

I found the mouse button bindings in xfwm4 quite unsuitable to my
preferences. The wiki page and the patch it references provides an
example of a different set of bindings which I have been quite happy
with. I would like to make these bindings configurable. I'm ready to
implement configurable bindings but I would like to know if there is
a concensus that this would be a useful feature and that such a
feature would be a good idea.

Thanks!

-Phil