Squeeze file properties window ideas (feedback requested)

Stephan Arts stephan at xfce.org
Mon May 21 00:17:19 CEST 2007

Hello,

I have been working on some ideas of implementing a file properties
dialog in squeeze.
One of these ideas involved using dbus to trigger thunar in viewing
it's properties window.

But i encountered a little problem which involves the capability of
the properties dialog being able to rename the file, obviously... bad
things will happen.

Now, i have come-up with a number of possible solutions.

1) Make it possible to set the properties dialog to 'read-only'

2) Let the properties-dialog give feed-back (iirc, this is possible
using d-bus) about any changes, this can result in weird errors
though.

3) Use fam to detect file changes (especially moves) and automatically
adjust the filename internally.

4) Implement a properties-dialog, at the risk of it not 'blending'
into xfce nicely.

Personally, I would prefer 3, with a fall back to 4 when either thunar
or fam can't be reached.

But, because I lack some experience on the matter, i would like to
know how other devs would do this.

Regards,

Stephan