Extending xfce4-mixer

Broeisi Rast broeisito at gmail.com
Thu May 17 17:04:48 CEST 2007

Hi Johannes,

I tried your python-script today but I got the following warning:

broeisi at kitana xfce4-volume-control $ ./xfce4-volume-control.py --mute
./xfce4-volume-control.py:203: DeprecationWarning: The dbus_bindings module
is deprecated and will go away soon.

dbus-python 0.80 provides only a partial emulation of the old
dbus_bindings, which was never meant to be public API.

Most uses of dbus_bindings are applications catching the exception
dbus.dbus_bindings.DBusException. You should use dbus.DBusException
instead (this is compatible with all dbus-python versions since 0.40.2).

If you need additional public API, please contact the maintainers via
<dbus at lists.freedesktop.org>.

  except dbus.dbus_bindings.DBusException, e:
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dbus/_dbus.py:851: DeprecationWarning: The
dbus_bindings module is deprecated and will go away soon.

dbus-python 0.80 provides only a partial emulation of the old
dbus_bindings, which was never meant to be public API.

Most uses of dbus_bindings are applications catching the exception
dbus.dbus_bindings.DBusException. You should use dbus.DBusException
instead (this is compatible with all dbus-python versions since 0.40.2).

If you need additional public API, please contact the maintainers via
<dbus at lists.freedesktop.org>.

  import dbus.dbus_bindings as m
sh: /usr/bin/aumix: No such file or directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./xfce4-volume-control.py", line 245, in ?
    main_class = MainClass()
  File "./xfce4-volume-control.py", line 192, in __init__
    self.checkAndStart()
  File "./xfce4-volume-control.py", line 204, in checkAndStart
    self.dbusObject = DBusObject()
  File "./xfce4-volume-control.py", line 152, in __init__
    self.main_window = MainWindow()
  File "./xfce4-volume-control.py", line 68, in __init__
    if self.getVolume() == 0:
  File "./xfce4-volume-control.py", line 103, in getVolume
    return int(volume)
ValueError: invalid literal for int():
broeisi at kitana xfce4-volume-control $

Do have an update to this script?

Cheers,

Broeisi

On 9/17/06, Johannes Zellner <webmaster at nebulon.de> wrote:

> Hello together,
>
> yesterday I wrote a simple python-script which should show how I'd like
> to extend xfce4-mixer.
>
> Mostly It simply provides flags like "aumix" (--raise-volume /
> --toggle-mute /....).
> Using the application is very simple: xfce4-volume-control <flags>
> I think these flags are really usable, but aumix does it also very well.
> So the script shows additional also a small "osd" for
> volumen-control-info.
>
> If you think this is nice and usable, please try and comment it.
>
> Greets,
> Johannes

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.