XFCE 4.4 RPM for CentOS 5

Grant McWilliams grantmasterflash at gmail.com
Tue May 15 21:46:14 CEST 2007

Thanks Kevin, Keven Erickson and I are working together on this. We haven't
gotten any response from the CentOS folks and without a status report we
have
no other choice but to go it alone since we need it for a project soon. If
we have to
create them ourselves and host them temporarily until the CentOS folks get
them done
then so be it.

Thanks for word back~

Grant

On 5/15/07, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at tummy.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 May 2007 10:04:01 -0700
> bjt23 at cornell.edu ("Brian J. Tarricone") wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 14 May 2007 21:58:28 -0700 Kevin Erickson wrote:
> >
> > >Hello,
>
> Greetings.
>

> > >I am new to Linux and RPM creation, does anyone know of an effort to
> > >package up XFCE 4.4 in an RPM for CentOS 5?
>
> Yes. The CentOS folks are apparently working on some packages now,
> and/or might have them pretty far along. I am trying to see if I can
> work with them and build them in the EPEL repository
> ( http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL ). I want to make sure we
> don't have 2 (or more) versions of packages that are not compatible...
>
> > > If not does anyone know
> > >of a spec file that I could get a hold of for one of the other
> > >distributions of XFCE 4.4RPM in hopes that I could use it as a guide
> > >to create the RPM myself?
>
> All the Fedora spec files are available under cvs.fedora.redhat.com,
> but they will surely need some modification for RHEL.

> > >need to have the ability to do an unattended install of XFCE 4.4 and
> > >it would be helpful.  I am more than willing to put some effort in to
> > >this, but just need some place to start.
>
> I can let you know what I find out from the CentOS folks...
>
> > >Sorry if this is the wrong place to post a question like this.  Any
> > >help that you can give would be greatly appreciated
> >
> > I believe a guy named Kevin Fenzi packages Xfce for Fedora.  If you
> > got in touch with him (I believe he lurks on this list, or perhaps
> > xfce at xfce.org[1]), I'm sure he'd be happy to share his spec files with
> > you.
>
> Yeah, I am on both this list and the xfce at xfce.org list.
>
> > Otherwise, we do provide spec files for most of our packages in the
> > release tarball, but you'll probably have to edit them a bit to get
> > them to work properly.  Please send patches if/when you do!
>
> I'd be happy to submit my changes up to you guys, but I fear the fedora
> ones are sometimes Fedora specific. It's a pity that
> Fedora/SuSE/Mandriva, etc all do things slightly diffrently.
>
> >       -brian
> >
> > [1] which, btw, is a more correct forum for your question -- this list
> > is for Xfce development discussion
>
> Agreed. Sorry for the noise, but I thought I would reply here to end
> the thread. ;)
>
> kevin

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use
Windows."
Now they have two problems.