First impression: libxfce4menu

Harold Aling h.aling at home.nl
Wed Mar 28 15:44:27 CEST 2007

Harold Aling wrote:
>>> - Some icons are larger than others
>>>

>> Odd that that's new - icon loading is done exactly the same way as it
>> was before, and, indeed, all icons are loaded using
>> gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file_at_size() using a global size, so I don't see
>> how this is possible.
>>
> See http://sait.nl/menu2.png -> Screensavers icon (wasn't present in
> 4.4 menu)
>
>>> - Icons are drawn after the text is drawn. This causes the text to
>>> shift x pixels to the right a fraction of a second later (probably
>>> more noticeable on slower pc's)
>>>

>> This is not new either.  Icons have been lazy-loaded for a long time
>> now (4.4.0 does this as well; I don't recall if any releases in the
>> 4.2 series do too). The original intent was to improve xfdesktop startup
>> time by reducing the time needed to generate the initial menu.  If menu
>> popup speed is an issue for you due to the lazy-loading, I'd suggest not
>> using SVG icons on older hardware.  They take orders of magnitude longer
>> to load and render than PNGs take.
>>
> I have a P4-3 GHz with 1,5 GB of RAM, which should be sufficient to
> render SVG icons. If I notice the delay and the expanding on such a
> machine, I'd reckon that it might be better to draw the menu with
> space already reserved for the icons. This will also prevent the
> overlapping of the menu as shown in http://sait.nl/menu.png ...

How can I create useful backtraces for libxfce4menu of xfdesktop? They
tend to crash every time an item is added to the menu...

I recompiled them with --enable-debug=full, but I get these '??'s in the
backtrace...

DBG[desktop-menu.c:301] _generate_menu(): menu file name is
/etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu
DBG[desktop-menu.c:301] _generate_menu(): menu file name is
/etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu

[Switching to Thread -1219741488 (LWP 25277)]
0xb50522e6 in ?? () from /usr/lib/xfce4/modules/xfce4_desktop_menu.so
(gdb) bt
#0  0xb50522e6 in ?? () from /usr/lib/xfce4/modules/xfce4_desktop_menu.so
#1  0x08392680 in ?? ()
#2  0x083caf70 in ?? ()
#3  0x00000001 in ?? ()
#4  0x00000000 in ?? ()