First impression: libxfce4menu

Harold Aling h.aling at home.nl
Mon Mar 26 08:48:42 CEST 2007

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> Today I (re)compiled libxfce4menu and xfdesktop4 from SVN to enable
>> the new Xfce menu. I know that it's still in pre-beta status, but
>> I'll mention some things I've encountered so far...
>>
>> - The 'Other' menu has disappeared
>>

> That's probably a good thing, no?  Just means everything is categorised
> properly.  If something is missing, do file a bug -- but note that
> legacy gnome and kde app directories are not indexed at present (I'm
> not sure if it's worth 'fixing'; better to fix apps installing .desktop
> files to deprecated locations).

I might have made a mistake on this one... 'Snoozing' for now...

>> - Some icons are larger than others
>>

> Odd that that's new - icon loading is done exactly the same way as it
> was before, and, indeed, all icons are loaded using
> gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file_at_size() using a global size, so I don't see
> how this is possible.

See http://sait.nl/menu2.png -> Screensavers icon (wasn't present in 4.4
menu)

>> - Icons are drawn after the text is drawn. This causes the text to
>> shift x pixels to the right a fraction of a second later (probably
>> more noticeable on slower pc's)
>>

> This is not new either.  Icons have been lazy-loaded for a long time
> now (4.4.0 does this as well; I don't recall if any releases in the
> 4.2 series do too). The original intent was to improve xfdesktop startup
> time by reducing the time needed to generate the initial menu.  If menu
> popup speed is an issue for you due to the lazy-loading, I'd suggest not
> using SVG icons on older hardware.  They take orders of magnitude longer
> to load and render than PNGs take.

I have a P4-3 GHz with 1,5 GB of RAM, which should be sufficient to
render SVG icons. If I notice the delay and the expanding on such a
machine, I'd reckon that it might be better to draw the menu with space
already reserved for the icons. This will also prevent the overlapping
of the menu as shown in http://sait.nl/menu.png ...

>> - 'Settings' now contains a lot of items. Maybe move all Xfce-related
>> items into a sub menu?
>>

> Nope.  Settings are settings.  Again, this shouldn't have changed,
> though I do know that I need to reimplement the blacklist that we had
> before to hide some KDE and GNOME control panels that had
> badly-written .desktop files.

Fair enough...
> 	-brian

-H-