MCS design proposal

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Tue Mar 20 11:47:55 CET 2007

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:47:12 +0100, Nick Schermer wrote:

> I don't think there is anything wrong with the dbus interface (good
> enough to do basic setting saving), but how would this API work
> compared to XfceRC?
>
> I suppose there will be a mcs library providing a gobject to connect
> some singals to monitor changes, a couple of  functions like mcs_
> {read,write}_{int,bool,string}. Maybe some useful global convenience
> functions for monitoring icon/theme changes (to drop some hooks), all
> very nice.
>
> But how do applications like xfce4-panel benefit from this? There is
> always 1 instance running of this app, the panel settings are changed
> inside the panel (no external app), so i think connecting to dbus to
> load some settings is a bit a waste of time (or atleast a grey area
> whether you use xfcerc (or a xml parser in the panel's case) or the
> mcs manager).
>
> Maybe someone can clear the sky a bit for me.

Some of the main benefits are:

  * no need to care about file locations and existance anymore

  * ability to watch settings for changes (either set by another
    program or directly entered by the user e.g. by editing a file)

  * share some settings with other applications and always be in sync
    with each other (most of our core parts are independent, but for
    some use cases this might be cool)

I'm sure there are even more reasons why this would be useful.

  - Jannis