MCS design proposal

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 10:47:12 CET 2007

I don't think there is anything wrong with the dbus interface (good enough to do basic setting saving), but how would this API work compared to XfceRC?

I suppose there will be a mcs library providing a gobject to connect some singals to monitor changes, a couple of  functions like mcs_{read,write}_{int,bool,string}. Maybe some useful global convenience functions for monitoring icon/theme changes (to drop some hooks), all very nice.

But how do applications like xfce4-panel benefit from this? There is always 1 instance running of this app, the panel settings are changed inside the panel (no external app), so i think connecting to dbus to load some settings is a bit a waste of time (or atleast a grey area whether you use xfcerc (or a xml parser in the panel's case) or the mcs manager).

Maybe someone can clear the sky a bit for me.

Nick