[Xfce4-commits] r25185 - in libfrap/trunk/libfrap/menu: . tests

Stephan Arts psybsd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 23:15:59 CET 2007

On 3/19/07, Harold Aling <h.aling at home.nl> wrote:

>  Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>

> Hi
>
> Stephan Arts wrote:
>

>  Now that the most important menu spec tests are passed and Brian
> already uses FrapMenu in xfdesktop, shouldn't we move FrapMenu out of
> libfrap and into Xfce trunk? Of course this raises the question about
> how we plan to reorganize our libraries for Xfce 4.6 again - I'd be
> glad if we could come to a conclusion here soon.
>
>  No opinions?
>
>  Well, if we can agree on which Gtk+ version will be the minimal
> requirement for 4.6 (2.10 has been mentioned more then once on this
> list) we can decide which stuff is deprecated regarding this and
> perhaps some (new) freedesktop.org standards.
>
>  I'd really prefer 2.8 instead of 2.10, Edgy will ship with 2.8 and
> setting a dependency on gtk+-2.10 would exclude a large part of our user
> base.
>  Those on (x)Ubuntu Edgy probably won't install Xfce 4.6, as it probably
> won't be available through the standard repositories. Feisty Fawn (the
> soon-to-be current version) currently has v2.10.11 of GTK+.
>
>  If Xfce 4.6 could really benefit from GTK+ 2.10, I'd say: go for it!

Afaik, olivier was refering to debian etch instead of ubuntu edgy.
(especially the 'will ship' indicates he means a release which has not
been made yet, edgy has)
Debian currently has 2.10 in experimental, 2.8 is the version in
testing and unstable.

A feature we might want to have is 'recent document support' which is
available since gtk 2.10. However, since 2.10 is not regarded stable
(even according to gtk.org so it seems), I think olivier is right on
the dependency on 2.8. We do not want a release which has all sorts of
bugs simply because it is impossible to run on stable libraries.

And, another 2 years waiting for 4.6? Lets hope not ^_~.

Stephan