xfdesktop4 4.4 crashes

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Mar 19 19:52:11 CET 2007

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 20:23:31 +0200 Jani Monoses wrote:

> As for xfce4-session
>it may be dbus related as session uses dbus to talk to HAL as a
>fallback, even in stock 4.4.

No, this is unrelated.  The bug was about the 'Quit' menu item in the
desktop menu not working.  There's no dbus involved in just bringing up
the logout dialog.

>As for the 'Other' menu, quite a few 3rd party apps end up there. The
>one which comes installed by default in xubuntu and the only entry in
>that menu however is gnome-app-install that has
>Categories=PackageManager;GTK; so an 'additional category 'with no
>'main category' as the spec suggests. Probably the gnome menu code is
>more forgiving and infers Settings as a main category here.
>
>http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

Well, it's not that gnome-menus is more forgiving; it just knows about
the PackageManager category, while xfdesktop doesn't. Seems like some
registered categories were added since I did the menu implementation.
This kind of thing should be fixable by editing the
xfce-registered-categories.xml file. Adding:

<category name="PackageManager" />

to the toplevel, and:

<subcategory name="PackageManager" />

as a child of <category name="Settings" ...> should fix that particular
problem, though there are a bunch of other 'new' categories that should
probably be added.  Feel free to file a bug, but I'm not sure if/when
I'll get to it (a patch would be appreciated if you or anyone has the
time to figure out what's missing).

	-brian