xfdesktop4 4.4 crashes

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Mar 19 18:42:14 CET 2007

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:52:33 +0200 Jani Monoses wrote:

>Hello,
>
>do users of non-Ubuntu systems or who built 4.4 from source experience
>crashes with latest xfdesktop4? There are many crasher bug reports
>against the latest xfdesktop4 in xubuntu (4.4.0). It may be it is
>GTK+2.10 specific or that something is fixed in the 4.4 branch but not
>in the final release. Anyway I hope and it looks like some of those
>reports are duplicates, but their number suggests it happens quite
>often even if it si a singe bug.
>
>https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfdesktop4/+bugs

Let's see...

64004: Gtk problem?  Crash is inside gtk_icon_theme_lookup_icon(), and
the backtrace is otherwise useless without debugging symbols.

64795: I feel like I've seen the gtk_paint_layout() assertion before,
but I thought I fixed that on 4.4 branch.  Not sure though.

65720: I've noticed this on my laptop as well sometimes, but it's
definitely not a xfdesktop bug.  It seems sometimes xfce4-session fails
to open its ICE socket properly (either that, or doesn't write
~/.ICEauthority properly, as I've noticed it often has zero-length), and
so the 'xfce4-session-logout' program can't talk to the session
manager.  It has nothing to do with dbus as one of the posters
suggests; the session manager doesn't use dbus.

66709: Looks like an xfdesktop problem, though I remember fixing a
crash in xfdesktop_icon_get_extents().  Not sure if this is the same
one.  I'd need a backtrace from xfdesktop with debugging symbols to
have any hope of figuring this out.

66627: Don't run nautilus without specifying --no-desktop.

67895: This doesn't even look like it's xfdesktop crashing:
"Core was generated by `/usr/lib/thunar/xfce4/panel-plugins/thunar-tpa
socket_id 18874438 name thunar-t'."
Huh?

68987: 1st crash log: No idea; looks like it's related to icon theming
code somewhere though.  2nd crash log: looks like the same
xfdesktop_icon_get_extents() problem as in #66709.  This sorta makes
sense with the symptoms being reported: this function gets called on
every expose event, which would likely occur when another window on the
screen gets closed.  3rd crash log: same as 2nd crash log.

69264: Looks like it's crashing in dbus-related code, but it's not code
that I'm calling myself.  No idea.  I notice it's on ppc - maybe your
dbus package has a ppc-specific problem?  (Grasping at straws here.)

71379: 1st crash log: looks like it's crashing deep in gdk-x11.  No
idea.  2nd crash log: same xfdesktop_icon_get_extents() problem as in
#66709.

73223: No crash dump; no idea.

79055: Not crash related, but I was curious.  Suggest you either close
WONTFIX, or find out which packages are installing .desktop files with
bad Categories= lines and fix them so they don't appear in the 'Other'
menu.

83451: Maybe same xfdesktop_icon_get_extents() problem, but it looks
like the XfdesktopIcon instance passed is invalid.  This sounds
*really* familiar and might be fixed on the 4.4 branch.  I'm not sure
if this is the same as the aforementioned _get_extents() crash, but it
might be.

83705: No crash dump; no idea.

88074: Another code path that triggers the _get_extents() bug maybe?
Same symptoms as 83705?

91528: Dupe of #69264.

91713: Same bt as the gdk-x11 crash log in 71379.  Doesn't look like it
has anything to do with the length of the file name as reporter
suggest; crash is related to drawing the icon pixbuf.

92991: No idea; bt mostly useless without debugging symbols.

93169: The bt is probably corrupt; menu code doesn't use gslice at
all.  No idea.

93494: No idea; bt snippet is useless, no full bt provided.

	-brian