Suggestions: Drag Highlighted Text, Focus & Raise Window on Drag only

robin me at robin.com.au
Mon Mar 19 09:15:01 CET 2007

Greetings,

Know about 'Metisse'? The 2.5D Window Manager. Have a look if u like:
http://insitu.lri.fr/metisse/videos/ .
After I checked it out, I had 2 suggestions in mind that 'may' improve the
XFCE experience. See what you think.

SUGGESTION 1: Drag Highlighted Text
Will XFCE intend to allow the ability to highlight text (maybe other
things as well) then dragging the highlighted text to text-editors,
terminals, or anything with a text-input-field? Gnome & KDE already allows
that, KDE currently does the best job I think. I would think Mac OSX would
be even better supported. The ability to do so would be nice even though
copy & paste still does the job.

SUGGESTION 2: Focus & Raise Window on Drag only
If suggestion 1 is implemented. This suggestion will seem quite necessary.
Visualise window1 and window2, window1 is partially overlapping window2, I
would like to drag a file or text from window1 to window2, as my
cursor(while dragging the file/text) goes over to window2, window2 raises.
When mouse is released, window2 can remain raised or go back to being
overlapped by window1, but this sentence isn't important, it's the part
when window2 raises.

Currently xfwm4 has the following options:
1. 'Click to focus' OR 'Focus follows mouse'
2. 'Automatically raise windows when they received focus'
3. 'Raise window when clicking inside application window'

They are in Settings > Settings Manager > Window Manager > Focus

My suggestion should work regardless of the top 3 options. So there should
be an extra section solely for 'dragging' where you can set window 'raise'
(and maybe 'focus').

Currently, 'Focus follows mouse' & 'Automatically raise windows when they
received focus' does not work when dragging something from window to
window. Besides I think people generally use 'Click to focus' right? In
any case, neither option works when dragging.

Good points? Tell me what you think.

Robin