Application Settings for XFCE 4.6

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Thu Mar 8 00:39:35 CET 2007

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 00:21:08 +0100, Stephan Arts wrote:

> On 3/7/07, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org> wrote:
> > Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> > > The biggest problem with mcs is probably that the settings daemon
> > > for
> > >
> > Ehm, that's our Xfce MCS, I'm talking about, just make sure ;-)
>
> IIRC, benny once suggested using DBUS for settings-management, i
> really liked this idea.
> What do you think about specifying a D-BUS interface for
> settings-management, and let a (separate) daemon(s) handle these
> settings in the background? Possibly separate MCS-daemon and an
> XSETTINGS daemons?

libmcs is just a small library which implements the actual storage
interface, which means it provides an interface for reading and writing
settings to a certain file. This has only little to do with how we
would organize our settings daemon.

However, I don't see how we would profit from using libmcs. By now it
provides only basic functionality, most of which is already implemented
in XfceRc.

  - Jannis