Netk deprecation notice [WAS Re: [proposal] Modify the panel-plugin interface, add 'powersave-mode'.]

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 23:21:30 CEST 2007

Stephan Arts wrote:
> On 7/14/07, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:

>> > WnckPager does not support workspace-scrolling, something NetkPager
>> > does.
>> >
>> > What should we do with that? Remove the feature?
>>
>> Subclass WnckPager in the panel plugin itself and add the scrolling
>> feature.
>
> ... could have thought about that myself. I implemented it that way
> though :-).
>
> Here i have a preliminary patch, going to fix some small issues with
> it (mainly coding-style stuff), please let me know if you have some
> sugestions or comments.
>
> This is what I have done so far:
>
> * subclassed WnckPager with XfcePager and added the scrolling feature
> * replaced netk with wnck inside the pager, iconbox, tasklist,
> windowlist and showdesktop plugins.
> * add HAVE_WNCK_TASKLIST_SET_SHOW_LABEL ifdefs to the tasklist.
> * add wnck_tasklist_set_show_label to configure.in.in function check
> (i am not sure if it will work, perhaps we need our own macro for
> that)
> * The pager can now be configured to display workspace-names instead
> of contents. (Bug #3392)

Brilliant! Good job.

The only thing is that the panel from SVN is broken. The launcher don't
work (it pops up a dialog stating that "Failed to launch "Editor" Text
was empty (or contained only whitespace)."

The taskbar doesn't work either, you can hide windows but not restore
them using the taskbar.

The panel logs errors like:

(xfce4-panel:16721): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_sensitive:
assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(xfce4-panel:16721): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_string_insert_c: assertion `pos
<= string->len' failed

(xfce4-panel:16721): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_string_insert_c: assertion `pos
<= string->len' failed

This is not necessarily because of the patch though, I did not switch to
trunk for anything but xfwm4 until now... So maybe the panel was broken
before. I don't know.

Any idea?

Cheers
Olivier.