MCS design proposal

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Tue Jul 10 21:31:50 CEST 2007

Alexandre Moreira wrote:
> On 3/19/07, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I have uploaded my thoughts about a new MCS design to
>>
>>   http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/mcs-design-proposal.txt
> [big snip]
>
> Hey there, everyone.
>
> I don't know if anyone has already checked it, but, here it goes.
>
> I heard about GConf being overhauled quite some time ago, and one of
> the targets for this change was to make it run as a D-Bus service and,
> as it seemed to me (correct me if I'm wrong, please) simpler and
> lighter.
>
> Have anyone checked if it would be possible to, instead of creating a
> new configuration manager, work together with the guys working at
> GConf to create some sort of D-Bus based, desktop independent
> configuration system ? It could even become a fd.o "standard".
>
> I'm really thinking about the client apps here. If we could workout at
> least a common D-Bus interface with the guys at GConf, the app
> wouldn't have to mind about which implementation it is running on.
>
> Of course, this is all considering it WOULD be possible to do such
> thing. And I don't know about both specs to say it can.

Yes, that would be nice. I know Jannis is just talking basic design now,
but there are of course two questions to ask ourselves before creating a
new system:

1) Do we need a new settings system at all? The panel does not really
use MCS anymore, so do we need a new one?
I can see two big advantages:
   - Kiosk mode implemented in one location for all Xfce modules.
   - Decoupling of settings and user interface, allowing us to more
     easily combine similar settings from different modules.

I think that's a yes, for me.

2) Can we use an existing system or join the development of another new
system. Basically this can be read as: can we use the 'new' GConf?

I hope yes, but I really have no idea.

--
	Jasper