MCS design proposal

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 19:07:20 CEST 2007

On 7/7/07, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
<SNIP>

> > I was just wondering, what is the status of this discussion (and the
> > spec)?
>
> There is no real status. I still have a more recent design draft
> lying around on Doppio:
>
>   http://www.foo-projects.org/~jannis/xfce4-mcs-design.html
>
> It is incomplete though, as plugin interface (would probably be based
> on .desktop files) is missing. I haven't had the time to finish it
> yet. Anyway, the general design idea is what I would prefer instead of
> getting involved in GConf.

I'm ignorant of all the goings on in GConf, so I'm not weighing in on
that account.

As for your spec Jannis, it's okay. I have a couple of thoughts.

I don't really speak current MCS, so maybe I'm being stupid. But
unless we specify ways to alter the daemon's behavior, then why do we
need an IPC interface to the same ol' config files? The advantage of
MCS to me is being able to plugin something like a kiosk mode, or have
the daemon figure out where I want to store my data if I'm running an
application remotely.

I really think that all of the stuff about opening a settings dialog
should go away. The MCS application as anything special should go
away. An app can open it's own dialog, and if you install a .desktop
file, then so can anything else. I'd like to see the
xfce-settings-show style app that simply aggregated .desktop files in
the Settings category. Then the Settings menu in the desktop menu can
go away, as it's a violation of all things holy.

>   - Jannis

Erik
"If you want to go somewhere, goto is the best way to get there." - Ken Thompson