MCS design proposal

Bo Lorentsen bl at lue.dk
Sat Jul 7 19:11:58 CEST 2007

Jannis Pohlmann wrote:

> Well, it's mainly an overhauled version of the current design. It
> uses D-Bus and thus is not bound to the X server. The whole design is
> more "GOO" (GObject orientated). To give an example: instead of passing
> callback function pointers to the MCSClient you would just connect to
> the "property-changed" signal of the channels.
Ok, that sounds nice, and a bit GConf like :-)

> So it's basically all about using more modern concepts (D-Bus,
> more GObject) and therewith preparing the MCS part of Xfce for the
> future.
Ok, sounds like some worthy goals (need to read up on d-bus I guess :-))

> Whether to get involved in GConf or not has not really been discussed
> there though. I know that Benny is all for it while I am not. Others
> have not raised their voice on this topic yet AFAIK.
What is the advantages of this MCS model in relation to GConf except for
the d-bus part ?

I don't understand the plugin part, what is it that can be plugged in ?

And, could it not be possible to have more than one storage mechanism
for then need MCS, like Debconf ? In that way we could store things in
XML, misc DB or an LDAB server, depending on what we what to achieve.

/BL