xfce display/login manager?

Björn Martensen bjoern.martensen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 23:13:31 CET 2007

Hi,

I know there is no such thing a s a xfce display manager, but are there
any plans or are there even some people interested in such a thing?

At the moment there is no completely nice solution for xfce, imho:
- gdm: needs some gnome stuff, has gnome everywhere, adds all kinds of
gksu stuff into the xfce menu and it just feels strange. still probably
the best solution at this time, at least the best concerning my
experiences.
- xdm: too basic, no options to reboot the system or shut it down and
such things
- slim: not that bad, but it doesn't fit very well and at least on my
system I always had a slim.log that was about 200M, even after deleting
it so that it was generated completely new, it was 200M again right
away. Once it even slowed down the entire system that much, it cluttered
my whole /var partition with a 900+M big logfile, and even after
stopping the slim service and deleting the file, it didn't get any
better. a windows solution (reboot ;)) solved that and the first thing i
did after that was finally getting rid of slim and installing gdm...
- wdm: ugly. old.
- entrance: needs enlightenment, afaik. haven't tried it..

A nice lightweight display manager for xfce (or gtk+ only) is something
I've tried to find for a long time but never found one.

If there are people that would like a "xfdm" or sth like that, maybe it
would be a nice addition for 4.6?

what do others think about that?

grtz,
Björn