Goals for next Xfce releases

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sun Jan 28 23:49:52 CET 2007

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 19:24:26 -0200, Alexandre Moreira wrote:

> [...]
> > icons.
> >
> > All I see of the desktop when working is a small corner (which I
> > use to get to the desktop menu), which makes having icons on it
> > completely useless for me. While I prefer having a separate program
> > to manage my desktop, I don't think it's a big issue, so long as
> > the current icon-free desktop UI stays as is.
> >
> > > Panel
> > > ~~~~~
> > > I'm very interested to know what people are missing in the
> > > current panel (besides CDE emulation ;-), so if you have wishes,
> > > preferably with an example use case, this would be a good time to
> > > let us know.
> > >
> > > Some ideas of my own:
> > > - Transparency. I guess what people want is a translucent panel
> > > with opaque icons. This is hard. It means we have to write our
> > > own panel widgets, because every widget with a window needs to
> > > handle transparency in its expose handler. Ideally Gtk would
> > > handle this with a style property that could be set from a gtkrc
> > > file, but that is not the case now.
> >
> > This would definitely be cool, but yes, I think you'd have to
> > subclass many of the GTK widgets. Perhaps requesting a feature in
> > GTK (or even submitting our own patch) to add a style property by
> > 2.12 or 2.14 or something, and requiring a new version for opaque
> > icons may be the way to go?
> >
> > > - Rewrite tasklist widget. Someone posted some interesting
> > > mockups that we could try to implement. Proper operation in
> > > vertical mode would be nice as well.
> > >
> > > File manager
> > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > > No lack of ideas here, I believe. One from me: do we want to try
> > > and integrate with Tracker for searching? It does sound more in
> > > line with our philosophy than Beagle.
> >
> > That does sound interesting. One thing I think would be nice would
> > just allowing globbing in the treeview search.
> >

> > > Apps/Utilities
> > > ==============
> > >
> > > No real ideas from me here. I'll just list the apps we have now:
> > >
> > > - Printing. I never use it, so I have no complaints ;-)
> >
> > It may be nice to add an interface for installing CUPS printers,
> > however last I looked, that seemed pretty difficult. Still, that
> > may have changed in newer versions of CUPS.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > One item you forgot:
> >  - Menu editor. It would be extremely nice to get rid of one our
> > most FAQ. "How do you edit the "system menu"?
> >
> >    This shouldn't be too hard -- we should be able to just inline
> > the entries from /usr/share/applications/ and friends in the UI,
> > and when a user edits them, the .desktop files should get copied to
> > ~/.local/share/applications and edited there.
>
> Talking about the menu. Is there any possibility that we'll see a
> (SLED/Gnome)-like menu plugin for Xfce's panel ? I'm trying to learn
> plugin development but this seems to stay waaaay out of my league for
> a while until I learn all that I have to hehe.

Yes, but this will probably not be in Xfce 4.6. The screenshot you
posted is based on GnomeCanvas and there is no GtkCanvas widget in
GTK+ 2.10. Anyway, I've had something similar in mind for quite some
time now and after the Xfce menu library is done, I'll try to come up
with a design for this.

For those who don't like the idea: The current simple menu will of
course be ported to the new menu library.

> I have some (I think) rather unusual ideas that most other users won't
> agree to, and that is why I'm trying to learn how to write plugins :P
>
> but I think a good menu that shows a bunch of favourites applications,
> places, possibly some information (like mounted stuff, network, and
> other weird small stuff) in a bigger-than-menu window is very nice.
> (If you don't know what I'm talking about, this is somewhat like it)
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Slab?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=mainmenu.png
>
> More applications would bring some sort of Application Finder window
> (like those you guys were thinking in adapting from Novell stuff) and
> control center could launch much like the same thing with an altered
> menu to display only settings-related applications.

I really like those interfaces introduced by Novell. However, I don't
think we should adapt it too fast, 1:1. Given that there's no canvas
widget in GTK+ 2.10, we should concentrate on cleaning up the internals
by depending on D-Bus, perhaps re-designing the settings manager)
before we think over a better look'n'feel.

> I'm thinking in (much) later, when I get the grip on this panel plugin
> thing (which I only started today) to try writing something like that
> to Xfce. But it would be good to know before putting any deep
> work/thought on it if anyone is really interested in it and if anyone
> thinks in doing it, so we don't double efforts.

I'll likely take care of the future menu as well as the application
browser (which perhaps also includes a generic layouting system other
applications, like the settings overview, could adapt).

Regards,
  Jannis