Goals for next Xfce releases

Alexandre Moreira alexandream at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 22:24:26 CET 2007

2007/1/28, Ori Bernstein <rand_chars at rogers.com>:
> [...]
>
> > Desktop manager
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Do we want a separate program to manage the background or should it be
> > part of thunar? How about the desktop menu?
>
> I, more or less, like the UI of xfdesktop as it is. Without desktop icons.
>
> All I see of the desktop when working is a small corner (which I use to get to
> the desktop menu), which makes having icons on it completely useless for me.
> While I prefer having a separate program to manage my desktop, I don't think
> it's a big issue, so long as the current icon-free desktop UI stays as is.
>
> > Panel
> > ~~~~~
> > I'm very interested to know what people are missing in the current panel
> > (besides CDE emulation ;-), so if you have wishes, preferably with an
> > example use case, this would be a good time to let us know.
> >
> > Some ideas of my own:
> > - Transparency. I guess what people want is a translucent panel with
> >   opaque icons. This is hard. It means we have to write our own panel
> >   widgets, because every widget with a window needs to handle
> >   transparency in its expose handler. Ideally Gtk would handle this with
> >   a style property that could be set from a gtkrc file, but that is not
> >   the case now.
>
> This would definitely be cool, but yes, I think you'd have to subclass many
> of the GTK widgets. Perhaps requesting a feature in GTK (or even submitting
> our own patch) to add a style property by 2.12 or 2.14 or something, and
> requiring a new version for opaque icons may be the way to go?
>
> > - Rewrite tasklist widget. Someone posted some interesting mockups that
> >   we could try to implement. Proper operation in vertical mode would be
> >   nice as well.
> >
> > File manager
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > No lack of ideas here, I believe. One from me: do we want to try and
> > integrate with Tracker for searching? It does sound more in line with
> > our philosophy than Beagle.
>
> That does sound interesting. One thing I think would be nice would just allowing
> globbing in the treeview search.
>

> > Apps/Utilities
> > ==============
> >
> > No real ideas from me here. I'll just list the apps we have now:
> >
> > - Printing. I never use it, so I have no complaints ;-)
>
> It may be nice to add an interface for installing CUPS printers, however
> last I looked, that seemed pretty difficult. Still, that may have changed
> in newer versions of CUPS.
>
> <snip>
>
> One item you forgot:
>  - Menu editor. It would be extremely nice to get rid of one our most FAQ. "How
>    do you edit the "system menu"?
>
>    This shouldn't be too hard -- we should be able to just inline the entries
>    from /usr/share/applications/ and friends in the UI, and when a user edits
>    them, the .desktop files should get copied to ~/.local/share/applications

Talking about the menu. Is there any possibility that we'll see a
(SLED/Gnome)-like menu plugin for Xfce's panel ? I'm trying to learn
plugin development but this seems to stay waaaay out of my league for
a while until I learn all that I have to hehe.

I have some (I think) rather unusual ideas that most other users won't
agree to, and that is why I'm trying to learn how to write plugins :P

but I think a good menu that shows a bunch of favourites applications,
places, possibly some information (like mounted stuff, network, and
other weird small stuff) in a bigger-than-menu window is very nice.
(If you don't know what I'm talking about, this is somewhat like it)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Slab?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=mainmenu.png

More applications would bring some sort of Application Finder window
(like those you guys were thinking in adapting from Novell stuff) and
control center could launch much like the same thing with an altered
menu to display only settings-related applications.

We probably wouldn't have use for search, unless we had some kind of
tracker integration (which I think there should be at maximum an
optional feature, since not all our users would agree with this kind
of dependency)

Well, it is too long and not saying anything so, so sum it up what I
wanna know is:

I'm thinking in (much) later, when I get the grip on this panel plugin
thing (which I only started today) to try writing something like that
to Xfce. But it would be good to know before putting any deep
work/thought on it if anyone is really interested in it and if anyone
thinks in doing it, so we don't double efforts.

Regards,
Alexandre Moreira.