[Thunar-dev] Developing a new app for Xfce

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 16:33:54 CET 2007

> tutorial on what each lib provide, where to start looking, etc. For
> games, as you people have pointed, there should be little use for xfce
> libs, but for other apps in general, we could not be reinventing the
> wheel....
> For example, a friend of mine (Alexandre Moreira, also on the list) is
> working on a "pluggable text editor", and he probably could make good
> use of some things already on the xfce libs...

To me starting from the idea of making an app by using Xfce libs looks
like a solution in search of a problem. Why not find out what Xfce users
miss from a typical Xfce desktop, either because there is no such app at
all (unlikely) or it does not fit well with Xfce because it is not as
light (used KDE/GNOME technology, written in java/mono etc).

Then look if any of those, and the likeliest candidates are GNOME apps
could use some patching to make them lighter which would then benefit
both desktop users. There is little value in starting from scratch and
making yet another app, users nowadays are confused enough by the
variety of apps in many areas due to me-too attitudes which lead to
half-finished and unmaintained projects. Honestly who needs yet another
text editor, IM client, cd burner and the list could go on. There is a
lot of value in writing them _for the developer_ but to users it's not
valuable unless it really comes out great.

Xfce is thunar, xfdesktop, panel, session and xfwm. These were written
from scratch are are significantly different from their GNOME
counterparts. Other projects under the xfce umbrella are not nearly as
essential and defining as these, and users and distro makers often
replace them with others.

For example I was planning to put gnome-volume-manager into Xubuntu
after slimming it of gnome deps. Now with thunar-volman which is lighter
and integrates better with Xfce there's no need, but this is an
exception to the rule.

Similarly if Xfce devs worked together with file-roller upstream to have
it build with --disable-gnome,there could have been a lighter but mature
archiver for Xfce. Instead we now have two beta quality ones with code
and UI still in flux.

Jani