[Thunar-dev] Developing a new app for Xfce

Rodrigo Coacci rcoacci at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 17:23:18 CET 2007

2007/1/25, Landry Breuil <landry.breuil at gmail.com>:

> 2007/1/25, Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de>:
> >
> > An xfce4-games project sounds like a nice idea. Maybe you should sign up
> > for a goodies account.
>

> I jump on this remark.... i'm planning since some weeks to port
> glines/klines ( http://live.gnome.org/Five_or_more)  to Xfce, rewriting it
> from scratch in C or C++ (glines.c code is a real mess imho..) adding
> funny features, and making it only depend on gtk+ and eventually libexo.
> I personally think one of the missing things for Xfce as a whole desktop
> environment is _games_, sounds useless, but when you want to make your brain
> sleep after hours of coding/working, this may be distracting.
> Opinions ?
>
> Landry

I don't know but I think you guys missed the point.... IMHO he just gave the
games for an example, but I think he was meaning apps in general. I also
miss a place where I can find doc about Xfce libs, maybe an small tutorial
on what each lib provide, where to start looking, etc. For games, as you
people have pointed, there should be little use for xfce libs, but for other
apps in general, we could not be reinventing the wheel....
For example, a friend of mine (Alexandre Moreira, also on the list) is
working on a "pluggable text editor", and he probably could make good use of
some things already on the xfce libs...

I didn't check the new website completely ( blame NWN2... :-P ) to see if
the info is there. If it is, ignore me :-P

      Rodrigo

A computer is like air conditioning: it becomes useless when you open
windows.
                   ~Linus Torvalds