Missing Funktion in thunar-volman to unmount a CDROM

Danny Milosavljevic danny_milo at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 19:19:32 CET 2007

Hi,

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:47:26 +0100, Evgeni Golov wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:22:47 +0100 Bjoern Martensen wrote:
>> > Ok. You inserted CDRW disk, mounted them via Thunar. After this you
>> > want to blank it via Xfburn. Before you can do it, you should
>> > unmount it, but you can only eject it.
>> >
>> > That's why unmount will be useful.
>>
>> I'd say Xfburn should unmount the disc before it starts writing to it.
>
> And what's about k3b, gnome-baker, nero, cdrecord, wodim, growisofs etc
> pp? Should they all implement unmounting

Yes? The right thing is the right thing, even when it's much work to do.

And note that the actual backends are just growisofs and cdrecord.

> , even if there are other tools (-> umount) which should handle this?

Well, usually you start at the use case. What would the user do? Does the user even understand what the heck an unmounted CD is or that it is needed in order to add content to the CD or whatever? Why is he not needed to do it in order to add content to an empty CD?

If the OS needs the user to understand that, does it also need the user to specify the device bus, target, lun, spin of all electrons in the room, ? ;)

Ideally, on a CD-RW or non-terminated CD-R the OS would union-mount the CDrom (ro) and a temporary directory (rw). The file manager lets you put whatever files onto "the CD" (the temporary directory). Once you try to eject it, it should go "hey, wanna commit that to the CD or what?". If yes, it should unmount, burn-add/remove it, then eject.

> PS: I also maybe want to remove my whole cd/dvd reader and let the cd
> in there...

Every time the computer lets me do that, later, I search the room for the CD like mad and can't find it.

cheers,
  Danny