Thunar tree-view/shortcuts-view patches

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Tue Feb 20 16:20:51 CET 2007

Hi,

attached please find two small patches for thunar-tree-view.c and
thunar-shortcuts-view.c. They add a "Remove Safely" action to the volume
action list in the side pane for devices like usb sticks or removable
media. It also adds the "Unmount Volume" entry in addition to "Eject
Volume"/"Remove Safely" since I thought they are not exactly mutually
exclusive.

Maybe I should explain why I find this usable: After mounting and later
unmounting my mp3 player (a Samsung YP-Z5F) in Thunar, the player still
showed "Connected" as the USB status. Konqueror had an additional option
called "Safely Remove", which actually removed the device from the tree
of listed devices. The player then showed "Finishing" (USB connection)
and returned to its main menu. With Thunar, I had to actually unplug the
device to achieve this. Although I thought this additional option in
konqueror is a good thing, I liked Thunar's way of handling devices much
better and implemented it using Thunar's built-in functions.
Long story short... that's why I added it.

Cheers,   Nick.

PS: Maybe FLOPPY Volumes should be excluded from this "Remove Safely"
option (as check in (thunar_vfs_volume_is_removable()). To be honest, I
don't exactly know how modern floppy drives work/look like.