Goals for next Xfce releases

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sun Feb 4 12:57:18 CET 2007

Björn Martensen wrote:
>>> I've tracker installed: it's slow and heavy on resources, and that MySQL
>>> embedded dependency is a pain. Maybe not really "in line with our
>>> philosophy".
>> If there's interest, I have a small python application[1] that does full text indexing, if that's all what tracker does?
>> Maybe I could port it to C...
>> (Uses bsddb for index storage, has some silly limitations because python doesn't let me read the timeval, just the time_t)
>>
>> Or we wait until the filesystem designers wake up and just integrate it into the filesystems... it's not like anyone _doesn't_ need search with today's harddisk sizes.
>
> tracker doesn't use mysql anymore but sqlite3 and i'm sure it does more
> than just full text indexing, you might have a look at the website [1]
> and a comparison of indexers [2], which is a bit older already, tracker
> has had some huge speed improvements lately and reduced memory and cpu
> usage too, so it's not that heacy on resources anymore.

I've tried to update to the latest tracker yesterday. Now it doesn't run
at all anymore. Once indexing starts it goes into an endless loop with
the SIGSEGV handler. I tried to debug that problem, but gave up after 2
hours. It's definitely a threading issue, but the code is really too
messy to figure out...

Benedikt