Goals for next Xfce releases

Björn Martensen bjoern.martensen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 21:53:24 CET 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 20:29 +0000, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> > I've tracker installed: it's slow and heavy on resources, and that MySQL
> > embedded dependency is a pain. Maybe not really "in line with our
> > philosophy".
>
> If there's interest, I have a small python application[1] that does full text indexing, if that's all what tracker does?
> Maybe I could port it to C...
> (Uses bsddb for index storage, has some silly limitations because python doesn't let me read the timeval, just the time_t)
>
> Or we wait until the filesystem designers wake up and just integrate it into the filesystems... it's not like anyone _doesn't_ need search with today's harddisk sizes.

tracker doesn't use mysql anymore but sqlite3 and i'm sure it does more
than just full text indexing, you might have a look at the website [1]
and a comparison of indexers [2], which is a bit older already, tracker
has had some huge speed improvements lately and reduced memory and cpu
usage too, so it's not that heacy on resources anymore.

[1] http://www.tracker-project.org
[2]
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/tracker-list/2007-January/pdfLkb0uuBAEw.pdf