mixer, Re: Goals for next Xfce releases

Danny Milosavljevic danny_milo at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 3 22:36:44 CET 2007

Hi,

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 22:06:10 +0100, Björn Martensen wrote:

>> > I miss an option to configure the volume of sound capturing like a
>> > microphone. Currently I have to use alsamixer for that, as xfmixer just
>> > only has faders for playback.
>>
>> I'll look into this. What mixer library do you use? (I ask because capture volume works for me in xfce4-mixer - and a panel-plugin capture volume setting sounds like a bad thing to have, after all you should only need to change it once every full moon)

> not sure what you mean by mixer library. i have an audigy 2zs and use
> plain alsa, i hope this helps.

Ah, alsa.

> it would be nice to have separated settings for capture and playback
> like in alsamixer so you don't have them mixed in one huge list of
> settings, but currently there are only sliders for playback volume
> settings.

Oh, that's strange... I have both playback and capture in that list and specifically implemented that, too. I wonder if something strange made it into the 4.4 branch? *checks* no...

Function vc_get_control_list in line 478 in
http://svn.xfce.org/filedetails.php?repname=xfce4&path=%2Fxfce4-mixer%2Fbranches%2Fxfce_4_4%2Flib%2Fvc_alsa.c&rev=0&sc=0 doesn't filter anything, it just determines control type and adds it anyway in each case.

Can you run "xfce4-mixer/lib/test_vc" please? (compile command is at the top of the test_vc.c... hmm, I should add that to automake... but how to get automake not to install it?).

>[...]

cheers,
  Danny