Session client support in libxfce4ui

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Dec 20 01:40:02 CET 2007

Harold Aling wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:40:21 -0800, "Brian J. Tarricone"
> <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>> Barring that, I think I'd actually rather put xfdesktop etc. in
>> autostart rather than continuing to use session management.
>
> I second that! A simple configuration dialog to define which window
> manager, desktop manager and panel are to be started on login... Every once
> in a while I try compiz, but always come back to Xfwm4. Autostarting an
> alternative WM would be a breeze that way, and everybody will understand
> it.

It need not even be all that complicated; desktop apps can install
.desktop files to a well-known location, with certain special keys
defined that say which type of app it is (WM, panel, desktop manager,
etc.), and a config dialog could pick between them.

> But I'd also like to be notified of unsaved documents upon logout instead
> of just killing all apps...

Sure, that's an instance when a particular application should use the
session management protocol, probably using libexo (since Benny designed
libexo with normal application development in mind), or using gtk's
session management support when it's done.  The core Xfce apps don't
need to be session clients for that to work.

Sigh, my TODO list is getting really long...

	-brian