Question about desktop files

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Thu Aug 23 21:23:28 CEST 2007

Am Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:38:15 +0200
schrieb Jean-Philippe Guillemin <jp.guillemin at free.fr>:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe it's the time to write a "xfsu" ?
>
> I would **love** to get rid of gksu in Zenwalk.
>
> Cheers
> JP
>
> Selon Bernhard Walle <bernhard.walle at gmx.de>:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > is there some possibility to execute a program as root in a .desktop
> > file? KDE and GNOME honor X-KDE-RootOnly=true and prompt for the
> > root password.
> >
> > Of course, you can hard-code “gtksu” or something like this in the
> > .desktop file. But then it breaks KDE or GNOME because GNOME users
> > probably don’t want to be prompted by kdesu for their root password.
> >
> > Thanks for any hints.
> >

> >      Bernhard

Why in the world do you want to get rid of gksu? It's a super handy
tool for nothing but running graphical apps as root. It does not
require gnome. And forking or replacing a tool "for the sake of having
our own" is not worth it at all.

I hope this didn't sound harsh, but your statement simply doesn't
make sense to me without a very good reason.

Regards,
    Christian