libglade dependency

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sat Aug 18 09:13:35 CEST 2007

Hey all,

I've started using Glade for some UI mockups, and liked how it worked
out so much that I'm using libglade for the UI in an app I'm working on.

I was thinking the Desktop Preferences settings panel could use an
overhaul, so I mocked up a new UI in Glade.  I could go and hand-code
it, but... that would be a waste of several hours.

What do we think about a libglade dependency for some Xfce modules?
Obviously it would be a hard requirement; not having the UI would kinda
suck.  AFAICT, libglade doesn't depend on anything we're not already
pulling in: glib, gtk, atk, libxml2.  The Gentoo ebuild also depends on
python, which I find a little weird -- might be a soft dep.

I also worked up a Glade catalog XML file for XfceHeading (so you can
add that widget in the Glade editor), and I could do the same for the
rest of libxfcegui4.  It doesn't require any special tools; you just
install the catalog file and any images to a 'special' location, and
there could be a --disable-glade option for libgui.

Thoughts?

	-brian