Database access

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 21:47:27 CEST 2007

> You appear to at least accept on principle that telling people what to
> do is not welcome here.  How is telling people what *not* to do any
> different?

Telling people what to do implies they spend their time doing that.
Telling them not to do saves them (and others) time. That's the difference.
Let alone I did not say 'do not' but 'please'.

> Regardless, your evaluation of XFC is faulty.  It's an alternative to
> gtkmm that, in theory, has decent memory and performance advantages.
> Though I don't recall any benchmarks being done, that doesn't mean
> those advantages don't exist, or that it's not a worthwhile project to
> find out if those advantages can be realised.

that's true for any dead and unmaintained project waiting for its latent advantages to
be realised. What I was getting at is why start resurrecting projects just because they
sound nice. Are you aware of any app that could use XFC and the effort in
maintaining XFC instead of doing it in gtkmm is worth it? I doubt it.

And while I am not a C++ I am pretty sure those performance advantages are insignificant,
Most time is spent on reading the disk or doing unnecessary things, and as far as
memory is concerned, on reading and keeping too much data not how many pointer indirections
are done or signal handling details. That matters in the kernel but here there are much lower hanging fruits.

> XFC represents a significantly different design view of how a gobject/C
> -> C++ binding set should be done.  Are you a C++ expert?  Who are you
> to decide what's right and wrong, what's worthwhile and a waste of
> time?  If no one cares to step up, the project will die.  If someone
> does, the project will live.  That's the OSS way, and you (or anyone
> else) have no place telling people which projects are worth their time
> and which aren't.

Right. And this projects is dead and is getting artificially resurrected.
The OSS way would have been, 'hey I wrote this app using the great XFC,
so I fixed a few bugs in it and taking over maintainership if noone objects'.
Instead, hey it's a pity XFC is dead let's get someone get it updated in svn.

> Really, I'm getting tired of this crap.  Please only post when you have
> something positive to contribute to the community.  You've done it
> before, and I know you can do it again.

I only post when I think I have something positive to say. If it's not perceived like
that by everybody that's another matter but it's not my intention to not be positive.

Jani