Xfce 4.4.1 on Monday 09-apr [WAS Re: Xfce 4.4.1 ?]

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Apr 6 08:26:21 CEST 2007

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 08:03:23 +0300 Jani Monoses wrote:

> > No, I want at least xfdesktop and the panel to depend on libutil
> > 4.4.1, as there's that memory leak fix there.  Otherwise, I don't
> > see the
>
> While that is a good way to ensure people are forced to run the
> latest lib it is an artificial dependency as no API has changed. Just
> as you do not depend on a more recent GTK because it is better in
> some respect (a bit stretched the comparison but you get it).

No, it's not artificial at all.  By increasing the dependency, I'm
saying "xfdesktop 4.1.1 will only work properly with libxfce4util 4.4.1
or higher".  And that's true.  Just because an app will compile against
a particular version of a library, it doesn't mean it will work properly
with it.  Increasing a library dep to avoid older, buggier versions of
libraries isn't an uncommon practice -- see Thunar, for example, which
depends on Glib 2.6.4 as its minimum.

> > problem.  All the packages will be released simultaneously from us.
> > It's up to the packagers to package them in the order they want.
>
> The reason for such unnecessary deps caused many delays in packaging
> in the past. I cannot package xfdesktop or panel in any order I want
> if the build servers do not have a library they depend on which means
> up to half a day of lag in normal conditions. Now since the ubuntu
> archives are frozen and everything needs manual approval that't even
> more bothersome.

Sorry, but making things easier for me re: avoiding spurious bug
reports is more important to me.

> I'd like that because it is technically the right thing to do.

That's your opinion, and I happen to disagree with it.

> Policy and recommandations for users should rather be in
> release notes not hardcoded in the config files.

Again, disagree.  xfdesktop is effectively buggy when used in
conjunction with libxfce4util 4.4.0.  4.4.1 is (will be) the only
released version I feel comfortable depending on.

If you really take issue with this, feel free to prepare a one-line
patch for xfdesktop's configure script to revert the dependency
change.  However, please understand that any bug reports on
bugzilla.xfce.org from Xubuntu users against xfdesktop will be marked
INVALID without comment.  I have to protect myself from people who
would waste my time due to their laziness.

	-brian