Xfce 4.4.1 on Monday 09-apr [WAS Re: Xfce 4.4.1 ?]

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 07:03:23 CEST 2007

> No, I want at least xfdesktop and the panel to depend on libutil 4.4.1,
> as there's that memory leak fix there.  Otherwise, I don't see the

While that is a good way to ensure people are forced to run the latest lib
it is an artificial dependency as no API has changed. Just as you do not
depend on a more recent GTK because it is better in some respect (a bit stretched
the comparison but you get it).

> problem.  All the packages will be released simultaneously from us.
> It's up to the packagers to package them in the order they want.

The reason for such unnecessary deps caused many delays in packaging in the past.
I cannot package xfdesktop or panel in any order I want if the build servers do
not have a library they depend on which means up to half a day of lag in normal conditions.
Now since the ubuntu archives are frozen and everything needs manual approval that't even more
bothersome.

I do not want to prevent you from bumping the deps because of ubuntu build details. I'd like
that because it is technically the right thing to do. Policy and recommandations for users should
rather be in release notes not hardcoded in the config files.

Jani