Xfce 4.4.1 ?

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Tue Apr 3 21:32:07 CEST 2007

Jani Monoses wrote:
>> sounds like it's worth a try at least. It would be *enticing* for developers if
>> they would have some regular schedule of xfce releases, so you would have to
>> have someone doing these releases on a tightly written down schedule. I wouldn't
>>

> Even without a regular Xfce schedule (which would be nice though IMHO) the component
> developers are relieved from thinking about coordinating and other non-devel work and
> manage their own time at their own pace.
I like this idea. In fact, if I remember correctly, one of the reasons
for making Xfce 4 modular was to allow separate releases when needed.

> One thing that needs to be figured out though
> is version numbering. It would be confusiong to have Xfce 4.4.1 containing modules with
> different version numbers (4.4.x). An idea is components called 4.4.X.Y with Y increasing
> an X being the next stable Xfce minor version.
> Then when Xfce 4.4.X si released (say Xfce 4.4.1 with xfdesktop 4.4.1.3 and panel 4.4.1.1)
> restart the stable components names at 4.4.2.0 .

Yes, we probably need a scheme like that. In the few occasions that we
have done separate releases of a single component, we usually did
something like 4.2.0.1. It sounds a bit more natural to me to have fixes
for the 4.4.x release have a 4.4.x.y version number, but your suggestion
has the advantage that there is no need to do a version update before a
coordinated release.

    Jasper