startxfce4 and dbus problem

Scott Horowitz stonecrest at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 20:01:27 CEST 2006

This is a really weird issue. If I put 'startxfce4' in my .xinitrc and
run startx, dbus doesn't seem to get launched. I get errors like:

Thunar: Failed to connect to the D-BUS session bus: Unable to
determine the address of the message bus (try 'man dbus-launch' and
'man dbus-daemon' for help)

However, if I run startxfce4 from the cli, thunar is able to connect
to dbus without a problem. I don't have anything fancy in my .xinitrc,
just the following:

xsetroot -solid black -cursor_name left_ptr &
xmodmap -e "keycode 115 = Menu" &
xset dpms 60 &
urxvt -pe kuake"<F1>" -bl -name gameterm &
startxfce4

Anyone have an idea what might cause this? Having to run startxfce4
from the cli is less than ideal because none of the other commands I
have in the .xinitrc will be run.

Thanks,
Scott