A quick idea

Nicolas Masse masse_nicolas at yahoo.fr
Wed Sep 13 00:04:25 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 23:56 -0400, Erik Harrison wrote:
> The Xfce settings manager is occasionally praised for its UI. It's
> nice and simple, and much more manageable than a long list of possible
> settings, or a complex tree sidepane and main panel.
>
> Unfortunately it's not a complete tool - it only manages settings for
> the "desktop". That means Xfce and any apps for which we've written a
> wrapper plugin. The remaining Settings tools show up in the single
> biggest submenu on my system.
>
> I propose, for 4.5/4.6 eliminating the settings menu by default in the
> desktop menu, and replacing xfce-settings-show with an app that, just
> like the menu does, shows an aggregate of all the appropriate .desktop
> files, organized by subcategory.
>
> I think this would improve the usability of the desktop, while at the
> same time simplifying how we add buttons to the tool - no need to
> write wrapper plugins anymore, just ship with a .desktop file. It also
> makes it MUCH easier for downstream to add buttons to the tool. I know
> at least HP added a number of mcs wrapper plugins for it's Xfce based
> thin client.
>
> Thoughts?

I think it's the way to go. (I already had an idea like that some time
ago)
Also, I once think that the UI could look like that:
-------------------------------_OX-
|  _   |                          |
| |_|  |                          |
|      |                          |
|  _   |                          |
| |_|  |                          |
|      |                          |
|  _   |                          |

where there is a main menu on the left (DESKTOP, NETWORK, ...) and
available option from desktop file on the right.

Just my thought,
Bountykiller