handling audio hotkeys

Ambrose Li ambrose.li at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 05:11:01 CEST 2006

On 06/09/06, Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote:
> At one point I think more dbus interfaces should be provided by various
> desktop components so you don't have to run an executable for every kind
> of remote control.
> Something like a central key config window where to key combinations one
> assigns dbus path and method addresses and one app takes care of calling
> them by grabbing all those key combinations. So current xfrun would be
> implemented by binding alt-f2 not to the xfrun excutable but associating
> it with org.xfce.RunDialog. Maybe for some cases dbus would be overkill
> though, I don't know.

IMHO auto binding of keysyms is not really a good idea.

I used to do that (through xmodmap), until I tried to log in from a Mac and
my keyboard got completely screwed up because a number of important
function keys (I forgot which ones) have completely different keysyms.

Of course, if all users on the box never start xfce remotely from
incompatible X servers. Then auto binding of keysyms will be great.

I don't think if dbus can detect problems like these. If it can, then extra
great.
--
cheers,
-ambrose