handling audio hotkeys

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 19:45:44 CEST 2006

Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Jani Monoses wrote:
>
>>> Xfce does not allow binding keycodes to keysyms so i guess a similar UI
>>> needs to be done for this particular case (in the mixer settings maybe)
>>> unless the user is expected to run xmodmap in the startup scripts.
>
> $HOME/.Xmodmap is read by xfce startup script.
I did not formulate my mail carefully enough. I meant no intervention by
user in the xmodmap tables, so not necessarily manual running, but
editing config files.

> Add the corresponding keysyms and use the shortcut manager to
> increase/decrease volume using a command line mixer.
>
> keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
> keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
> keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute

I know, this is mentioned in the bugreport where you also mention key
grabbing.

> Another neat option would be to have a remote controller for the xfce
> mixer and use it from the shortcut manager (a bit like the way
> "xfdesktop --menu" works for example)

At one point I think more dbus interfaces should be provided by various
desktop components so you don't have to run an executable for every kind
of remote control.
Something like a central key config window where to key combinations one
assigns dbus path and method addresses and one app takes care of calling
them by grabbing all those key combinations. So current xfrun would be
implemented by binding alt-f2 not to the xfrun excutable but associating
it with org.xfce.RunDialog. Maybe for some cases dbus would be overkill
though, I don't know.

Jani