dbus problems

Robby Workman xfce at rlworkman.net
Mon Oct 2 05:22:45 CEST 2006

Henry christenson wrote:

> The Xfce4.4RC1 is forceing you to have dbus or it will fail configure
> for the xfce desktop manager.    If this is an optional componet you
> need to fix it so that it doesent come up as a reuquirement  when
> trying to install xfce4.4RC1.
>
> this was not requried on previous versions of xfce4 why is it now.  im
> thinking this is someones FUBAR when writeing the configure script.
>
> please advise on how to ither 1. get dbus-glib-1 installed or 2 get
> around the configuration issue

I see that Brian has already responded, but I feel the need to
hit a few issues here.

1. Had you searched the archives of this list, you would have
already seen this issue hashed out and settled, along with a link
to the bug report that Brian gave you.

2. Statements like "you need to fix it" are best used only when
preceded by "I'm paying you to fix it, so" - since the Xfce
project is maintained by volunteers, you'd get a *much* better
response by asking what *you* can do to work around the problem
if a fix doesn't exist yet.  Of course, this would ideally happen
*after* searching the archives as indicated in #1 above.

3. Statements like "this is someone's FUBAR" don't go very far in
  creating good will toward you.  Word of the day is "tact" - get
you some...  :)

Anyway, with all that said, your options for RC1 are either to
install dbus and the glib bindings for it, or:
   --disable-dbus    when compiling Thunar
   --disable-thunar-vfs    when compiling xfdesktop
and it should build fine.  Of course, I'm waiting on RC2, and
hoping it will be relatively soon.  I'd like to get some Xfce
4.4rc? packages for Slackware 11.0 out, but I don't want to have
to require dbus to be added as well...

Olivier, Brian - hint, hint... :)

RW

--