Icon box.

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Wed Nov 15 21:22:37 CET 2006

Alexandre Moreira wrote:
> Hey Jasper, I was thinking: Wouldn't it be easier to merge  the
> tasklist plugin and the iconbox plugins ? I mean... they should do
> basically the same thing with the few differences listed down (please
> correct me if I'm speaking nonsense)

That's always been my idea as well. What else is the iconbox than a
windowlist without labels? Unfortunately, the netk-tasklist code is not
very nice to work with. I have tried a (rather long) while ago, but I
couldn't get the icon sizing to work the way I wanted, so I gave up and
made a port of the old iconbox instead.

> The Tasklist displays the title of the tasks in the buttons and its
> buttons are wider.
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to handle the IconBox through the same code that
> does the Tasklist, only making that tasklist Vs iconbox behavior
> optional ?

Conceptually better, yes. Easier? I don't think so. Of course, that
shouldn't prevent anyone from trying ;-)

> If I recall correctly the tasklist already has support for stopping
> drawing the titles, so it would just be a matter of creating the
> Expand to height/Add Rows switch. (and deal with the minimum width,
> since it goes pretty weird when the minimum width is set to zero.

There's a lot of little annoyances with the current tasklist that could
do with a little attention.

> Of course I don't think this is a project for 4.4 but I think it is
> worth a try.
Yes, I do agree. I would love to see an improved or even completely
rewritten tasklist (and pager) widget .

    Jasper