Xfce 4.4BETA1

Aaron aaronf0 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 22:29:50 CEST 2006

just on a side note, i think there needs to be more collaboration
between the xfce mailing list and the irc channel. because the release
has been pushed back so far, quite alot of people have switched to
svn. if you could get ahold of them, you could probably use them as
the beta 1 test.

On 3/30/06, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org> wrote:
> Moritz Heiber schreef:
> > On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:50:23 +0100
> > Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Same old story... how about a 4.4BETA1 release within the next two
> >> weeks? I'm preparing for a BETA1 of Thunar, and I think it would be
> >> nice if the rest of Xfce would also enter BETA stage, if we want 4.4
> >> to be out by the end of May. With all the new stuff in xfce4-panel and
> >> xfdesktop, we'll need a lot of testing to find all the bugs before the
> >> final, IMHO.
> >
> > May I ask for the string-freezy call then anytime soon? Seeing that
> > we're entering BETA stage with the upcoming release I'd appreciate to
> > let the translators fire away and be productive ...
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Moritz
> >
> > PS: The question is .. are we really at the point of calling svn BETA
> > yet?
>
> Well, in my opinion we have always been a little bit too quick with
> string freezes. A BETA release to me means: (more or less) feature
> complete, not too many bugs, still needs polish.
>
> The polish bit is very much user interface related, including strings.
> While we should certainly try to minimize changes, we also shouldn't
> rule them out just yet.
>
> So, basically, translators should start translating, but should be aware
> that things may change a little, and they could also check if the
> English text makes any sense. Non-translators can do the latter as well.
>
> So, my suggestion would be to do a first BETA to let a larger public
> test the new features, a second BETA to fix all bugs (yeah, right ;-),
> then maybe do a UI review of some kind and with the third BETA do a real
> string freeze and then start the release candidate cycle. Something like
> that anyway.
>
>         Jasper

Aaron Fineman