Shortcuts plugin for 4.4

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Mar 27 14:36:42 CEST 2006

Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>> Before we go on with starting the 4.4 beta process, can we please merge
>> the shortcuts plugin into the keyboard plugin first? It shouldn't take
>> more than 2 hours to merge them and it'd really reduce the confusion for
>> users.
>
> I'm not sure about that. the shortcut plug-in is new and if you merge
> that with the existing keyboard plug-in, people who are used to the
> keyboard plug-in will not think of it as a shortcut editor.
>
> In other words, I'm not sure that would reduce confusion. I'm not sure
> there is confusion in fact.

I don't necessarily agree.  For starters, the old shortcuts will stop
working (from someone upgrading from 4.2 to 4.4), so people will need to
reconfigure them anyway, so it's sorta like a "new feature" in that
there's no limit to the number of shortcuts.

Not to mention the fact that they no longer exist in WM settings, so
people are going to get confused anyway.

Regardless, I don't think "people are used to the old way" is a good
reason to avoid fixing a usability snafu.

	-brian