Xfce 4.4BETA1 - core packages

Edscott Wilson Garcia edscott at xfce.org
Sun Mar 26 16:57:30 CEST 2006

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, Jannis Pohlmann wrote:

> Xfce should have a file manager in the core. I consider this essential
> for a desktop environment. Personally, I'd prefer to have Thunar as the
> default file manager. There are several reasons for this. From a
> certain point of view, Xffm is to Thunar, what Linux is to Windows - a
> bit geeky, not as easy to use for beginners ... well, we all know that
> Windows is kinda wrong, but, err, I think you get it. Thunar was/is
> written with things like usability and ease of use in mind and you
> don't get around this when using it. Xffm is different, it just doesn't
> feel like being something for the average user.

Yes, besides, xffm is no longer a filemanager but rather a process and
command GUI. And the command line is for the experienced.

In the end, even local "filemanagement" (just a front end to cp, mv,
ln, unlink, and some others) will also be made into a plugin.
Features come and go, and women talk of Michaelangelo.

Anyways, the "make rpm" option is being dropped from the build process
for xffm-4.3.4 (aka. 4.4B) packages. Why would anyone use Redhat when
there are much better options out there? Otherwise Debian, LL,
Gentoo-ebuilds, Solaris or BSD packages should be supported within the
make process.

Xffm will most probably be put on a different release schedule than the
rest of xfce, since I'm a bit busy with some other problems at the
moment. Anyways, translations and new features are frozen.

regards,