Xfce 4.4BETA1 - core packages

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Sun Mar 26 13:07:54 CEST 2006

sofar wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 05:45:00 -0800, Oblio <apa.chioara at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sorry to intervene in the dev discussions.
>>
>> After all this frantic activity, have the core Xfce package been decided?
>> Or are they the same, and Xarchiver, Xfburn Xfmedia are extras? (I'd go
>> with them as extras). Packagers might want to know.
>
> this is afaics a tough question which might need some more thought
>
> - xfburn (as JF said) is not stable yet and will stay -extra
> - being dependent on xine I think xfmedia will stay -extra too (brian?)
> - xarchiver is definately -extra since no physical work has been done to integrate it in Xfce. This will need more time
>
> I'm not sure what the position on thunar is now that it's rapidly approaching beta (all hail Benny). Having both xffm and thunar in the core packages poses a problem that is hard to solve. I'm sure this e-mail will already stir things up - so lets think it over a bit ;^)

My gut feel is to create 3 distributions:

* xfce-desktop
* xfce-applications
* xfce-previews

xfce-desktop would contain the libraries, the WM, the panel and xfdesktop

xfce-applications would contain thunar, xffm, mousepad, orage, xfmedia
and any other stable applications.

xfce-previews would contain xfburn, xarchiver, xfc and any other
unintegrated or unstable software.

These three distros would have separate release dates and directories.

I believe we need to make the base desktop as small as possible.

-- b