xgl

Aaron aaronf0 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 22:24:56 CET 2006

On 3/12/06, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:
> Aaron wrote:
>
> > well, i did, and i would doubt that you read through the xgl docs.
> > most of the xgl features are inacessible without the use of compiz.
> > compiz replaces xfwm4. i like xfwm4, and i think compiz sucks in
> > general, which is why i was asking about the inclusion of those
> > features in xfwm4.
>
> Rewriting Compiz in xfwm4 does not make much sense. If you want Compiz'
> features, use Compiz. But did you try to run xfwm4 on top of XGL?
>
> You say Compiz "sucks in general", well, did you try it? What "sucks"?
> Did you try to post on the relevant mailing lists about what you found
> wrong in Compiz? Maybe you could help fixing Compiz?

i say compiz sucks in general because its lacking many of the odd
features i like in window managers, but found in xfwm4. i have no
intrest in attempting to patch compiz into a clone of xfwm4, and i
only want a few basic things, like transparent windows on move.

> > because as i said, my graphics card is decent, and has as much onboard
> > memory as my computer, which speeds things up quite a bit as its
> > accessing the stored textures and sending them to the screen, instead
> > of my cpu.
>
> Well, I have a rather old NVidia GeForce 4 MX440 card and it works
> equally well with HW accelerated render and OpenGL with XGL. That's not
> because of OpenGL, it's because NVidia provides decent drivers. Without
> these drivers, neither OpenGL not accelerated render would make the
> compositor usable.
>
> As of onboard memory, when using compositing, all windows contents are
> stored in pixmaps. No need for Xgl for that.

well, then the xgl documentation is just lieing, because they claim to
store the windows as textures on the graphics cards memory.

> > im on a slower system, livecd's are quite unusable here.
>
> But the point is, does it make the display any faster? The point is not
> how fast apps start, but how fast is the rendering.

im not joking about slower system, i physiclly cant boot a livecd with X on it.

> Oh, and you are running Gentoo? You have everything you need to try
> XGL/Compiz in Gentoo.

the guide sucks, im waiting for a decent set of documentation on it
before bothering to install it.

> > i would sugest reading my whole post next time you wish to attempt to
> > flame me, or accuse me of not reading.
>
> I'm not flaming you, sorry if that sounded like that.
>
> Cheers,
> Olivier.

If it moves, COMPILE IT!!! Yay Gentoo!!!