xgl

Aaron aaronf0 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 21:06:11 CET 2006

On 3/12/06, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:
> Aaron wrote:
> > oh yea i forgot about the composite inclusion and the ugly transparent panel...
>
> That is your opinion, not a fact. Composite is not just the panel, it's
> also real transparency for all windows, shadows, etc.

true, but the most noticable feature of 4.2 was the transparent panel,
which i personally find ugly, but thats just my opinion.

> > read through the archive, is anyone going to chnage their thoughts now
> > that more people seem to be using xgl? or should we wait for a beta
> > releases of xgl before asking again?
>
> I doubt you read the archives, because you seem confusing between
> between compiz and xgl.

well, i did, and i would doubt that you read through the xgl docs.
most of the xgl features are inacessible without the use of compiz.
compiz replaces xfwm4. i like xfwm4, and i think compiz sucks in
general, which is why i was asking about the inclusion of those
features in xfwm4.

> > what im mainly intrested in is having my windows rendered as gl
> > textures, because my computer is quite slow, but i have a decent
> > graphics card, which really speeds things up using composite.
>
> Well, look, if your computer is slow, what make you think that using
> OpenGL would render faster than plain 2D acceleration?

because as i said, my graphics card is decent, and has as much onboard
memory as my computer, which speeds things up quite a bit as its
accessing the stored textures and sending them to the screen, instead
of my cpu.

> But, look, I'll make you a favor. You want to use Compiz+XGL? try
> Kororaa live CD.
>
>         http://getkororaa.com/

im on a slower system, livecd's are quite unusable here.

> Cheers,
> Olivier.

i would sugest reading my whole post next time you wish to attempt to
flame me, or accuse me of not reading.

If it moves, COMPILE IT!!! Yay Gentoo!!!