icon theme handling is broken in panel and several apps

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sat Mar 4 11:15:08 CET 2006

jp wrote:
> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> Xfce now uses the "standard" GtkIconTheme class for looking up themed
> icons, instead of the XfceIconTheme I wrote a while ago to work around
> some of GtkIconTheme's past problems.  GtkIconTheme is a bit less
> forgiving than XfceIconTheme.  I've attempted to work around these
> problems to some extent, but it's obviously not perfect.
>
> So what I need to try to fix this:
> 1.  The specific full pathname to the icon that *should* be showing up,
> but isn't.
>
>> -> In panel : all icons that are symbolically picked don't show, only
>> the ones with absolute pathname show,
>> -> All icons in Settings Manager don't show, except the Xscreensaver one
>> -> All icons in the xfdesktop menu show OK,  except for Xfprint, Orage
>> and Thunar
>> -> Everything else is OK
>
>> (attached screenshots)
>
> 2.  The string the panel is using to try to look up the icon (probably
> just whatever you selected in the panel should do).
>
>> Same answer : all icons designated by the symbolic name of the icon
>> don't show. Attached are :
>> - a tree list of the icon theme used,
>> - the Zenwalk package containing the theme (for you to reproduce, take
>> care that it contains a hicolor tree, needed to replace all Rodentish
>> icons).
> 3.  Your gtk version, out of somewhat idle curiosity.
>
>> ->  2.8.12

I'll look into this a bit more later, but I can't reproduce your
problem.  I copied the icon theme to /usr/share/icons (just the Nuovo
directory), switched themes to "Dropline Nuovo" in the UI settings
panel, and everything seems to work fine.  All of the symbolically
picked icons in the panel show properly from the Nuovo theme.

Side note: the hicolor directory you tarred up and sent to me didn't
have an index.theme file.  I'm pretty sure that will cause problems with
GtkIconTheme, though I'm not sure that it would cause this specific
problem.  (XfceIconTheme shipped with a fallback hicolor-index.theme
that was used in the case that hicolor's index.theme wasn't installed
properly.  Again, GtkIconTheme isn't so forgiving AFAICT.)

Side note #2: You have an 'Xtra' directory inside Nuovo.  GtkIconTheme
won't find icons in there unless you add it to Nuovo/index.theme.  Each
subdir with icons needs to be mentioned on the Directories line in the
[Icon Theme] section, and then each one also needs a [dirname] group of
its own like the ones in the file for the existing directories.

One more thing: do you have the env var XDG_DATA_DIRS set to something?
 If so, and it doesn't include /usr/share, that could cause problems
too.  (If it's not set at all, it defaults to
"/usr/local/share:/usr/share".)

	-brian