icon theme handling is broken in panel and several apps

jp jp.guillemin at free.fr
Sat Mar 4 09:17:51 CET 2006

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> On 3/3/2006 1:41 PM, jp wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have just built the latest svn (r20198), it builds without errors
>> on Zenwalk Linux 2.2.
>>
>> Only half of the icons show in the panel, same for Orage, Xfprint and
>> Settings Manager (no icon at all in this last one).
>>
>> This "thing" called Rodent still works, but Zenwalk theme (Nuovo)
>> that was fully supported by my previous build (~3 weeks ago) looks
>> broken now.
>>
>> Please could you tell me if this is the result of a temporary
>> modification, or if I need to work again on theme integration? It's a
>> lot of work, so I would be glad not to spend my time again on this.
>>

> Xfce now uses the "standard" GtkIconTheme class for looking up themed
> icons, instead of the XfceIconTheme I wrote a while ago to work around
> some of GtkIconTheme's past problems.  GtkIconTheme is a bit less
> forgiving than XfceIconTheme.  I've attempted to work around these
> problems to some extent, but it's obviously not perfect.
>
> So what I need to try to fix this:
> 1.  The specific full pathname to the icon that *should* be showing up,
> but isn't.

-> In panel : all icons that are symbolically picked don't show, only
the ones with absolute pathname show,
-> All icons in Settings Manager don't show, except the Xscreensaver one
-> All icons in the xfdesktop menu show OK,  except for Xfprint, Orage
and Thunar
-> Everything else is OK

(attached screenshots)

> 2.  The string the panel is using to try to look up the icon (probably
> just whatever you selected in the panel should do).

Same answer : all icons designated by the symbolic name of the icon
don't show. Attached are :
- a tree list of the icon theme used,
- the Zenwalk package containing the theme (for you to reproduce, take
care that it contains a hicolor tree, needed to replace all Rodentish
icons).
> 3.  Your gtk version, out of somewhat idle curiosity.

->  2.8.12